Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Taking a long break

Well its been well over a week since my last post. The reason being I havent had much to say.

On Sunday 27th June I went out for a 45km road run in my vibram five fingers. Knee feeling a little dodgy but managed to pull through. I lasted 30km in my vibrams which was fairly incredible as I havent done much running in them and my feet didnt have any blisters at all. Then I changed into my runners and went home. In the end my knees were in a lot of pain and I didnt run for the next week.

I went out yesterday for a 12km run and my knee packed in. So i jumped on a train and went home.

Today I cancelled my 100miler at The Glasshouse 100. There is no way I would be able to complete it or enjoy the run feeling this way. I can walk freely without any pain so I dont want to do major damage.

The plan is to take a complete break from running for 6 weeks. Let me knees and ITB completely heel and when i start back i will start back slow and short distances only. In much the same way as i started out in August 2009. Hopefully I will be fit and I can enjoy my running again.

In the meantime, I will be spending the next 6 weeks doing weights and cardio in the gym. I have a stack of protein powder to get through and i plan on putting on some of the muscle i have lost.

I'll be itching to run after a week but i have to be sensible and stick out the rest period.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian
    Sorry to hear you're not 100% and that you've pulled out of the Glasshouse 100. Perhaps 30kms in the Vibrams is too much without building up to it gradually. I'm no expert in barefoot running, but do practice the ideals of it on a small scale which has given me significant gains in my "conventional" running with shoes. What I have read about running barefoot is that you should increase your distance very very gradually, and make sure you're still doing lots of the correct stretching and strengthening exercises.

    Make the most of the 6 week break and have a plan so that you're getting the most out of your rest. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago but managed to keep training as I was taking advice from my physio who managed to improve my gait and keep me training whilst injured, at the same time as sorting out the issue which laid me up in the first place.

    All the best
    Andy

    www.ultrarunning.com.au

    ReplyDelete